Monday, March 19, 2012

I am not as interesting as a computer game

I had a conversation recently where a man said to me that he thinks that a perfect library would be super quiet and have rows and rows of book. A sanctuary of  knowledge. 

As I am writing this, to me left there are teenagers gossiping and behind them a child being tutored (and not liking it). To my right, a brother and sister are arguing and two boys playing a Michael Jackson dance game on the Wii. They eat snack, play Mancala, games on the computer, color and do crafts. Oh, and once in a while they read.That is pretty normal week for my library.

Once a month there is a program here that children love. Therapy dogs come in and the children are able to sit with them and read. It is my only story time program a month. Usually, I am pretty grateful for that. I am a timid public speaker, and honestly, I fear the unknown. I have never had to do story time, so is scares the crap out of me.

It was talking about Summer Reading that started this. I am so worried about booking performers and events. I forget that the whole point of Summer Reading is to instill the love of reading outside of school. All I can think about is the amount of children that will be here every day. So here is my point, my weekly obsession, the problem I have to fix. By definition of my job I am supposed to spread the love of reading. How am I supposed to do that when these kids are more interested in stupid games on the computer than, well, me?

No comments:

Post a Comment