Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Notes on the New Books



What if everything were just like boys? If shopping carts were like boys . . . grocery stores would be racetracks! If pillows were like boys . . . bedrooms would be superhero hideouts! Perfect for bedtime, this funny and tender celebration of boyhood will have everyone seeing their world in a whole new way.

This book was cute. I was kind of mad at it because it is written for boys... but then I realize how many books are girl books and I felt bad... now I am mad all over again because I just don't believe in girl books/boy books. I have also noticed quite a trend with these books, short phrases, linked by a theme, different pictures. They are cute, sometimes funny, but I think I am bored of them.
When a lion says ROAR,does he really mean MORE?When a cow says MOO,does she really mean YOU?How do we know what animals say when they say what they say with their sounds everyday? With an interactive text and bright, playful illustrations, Angela DiTerlizzi and Joey Chou explore what baby animals really mean when they make their adorable baby animal sounds.

I liked this book because I it is from a children's point of view. I remember thinking as a child that my pet dog really want to talk to me, I just didn't understand her language. Heck, I still think my cats are talking to me. I am thinking about using this one for a story time next month.


Dots here, dots there, you can see dots everywhere! Some are loud, and some are quiet. Some are happy, and some are sad. Some dots even taste yummy, while others taste bad. Graphic designer Patricia Intriago sets bold, circular shapes against a stark white background to emphasize opposite dot relationships. 
This is one of those concept teaching books. With simple illustrations, the author get's across a visual description of the words... It is highly imaginative and I think the right kids would really like it.
Ivy and Fletch have been best friends since babyhood. But when they get to kindergarten, they discover that the girls play with the girls, and the boys with the boys; suddenly Ivy and Fletch find themselves apart on the playground, on the Princess Team and the Pirate Team. It isn't until Fletch steps in to rescue Princess Ivy from pirate capture that they realize they miss playing together. Can they desegregate their playground?
This lighthearted story of cooperation and open-mindedness will resonate with kids, parents, and teachers everywhere.
This book is the answer to If Waffles Were Like Boys. It shows that girls and boys can play the same, even though they are girls and boys. The illustrations were very animated, kind of reminded me of Karen Beaumont. Only thing I found odd... There was a lot of hand holding. I have a feeling some would have an issue with the touchy-feeliness of the gesture.

No comments:

Post a Comment