So here I am, backing working with the kiddies as a Children's Librarian. I thought it would be more difficult. I thought the Toy Resource Center broke me. I didn't think I knew how to talk to kids anymore. I didn't think I had the patience. I am not going to say it's easy, because I am constantly yelling "In a minute!" to the 3 kids-at-a-time that are talking to me and doing two other things at the same time. I will say it's fun. I get to color and do crafts. They talk to me about the most random things. Teens don't want to color or talk! I am making myself quite at home.
It's my Third Week in, here is what has happened so far:
- I did my first story time last week. I was put on the spot and had no choice but to do it. There was a surprise group in and they wanted entertainment. I will not say it was perfect, but it has definitely helped me get over the story time fear. I will not sing in public though.
- Ran a random crafty program... Can't wait to do more.
- Signed up like 50 something kids for Summer Reading. Only one has claimed their 3rd week prize, maybe five have claimed their 1st week prize. I just wish that if they sign up, they'd actually DO the program so all the prizes we bought didn't go to waste.
- I have discussed rearranging the picture + pre-school books radically. At first I was just going to combine the 2 sections... Then the boss lady told me about libraries rearranging the picture book area by subjects and categories. It would be easier to browse and work for most children. My brain is blown away. A children's room organized so the children can use it. Amazing!
- I am also about to weed the easy readers + midway readers. There is some confusion with these 2 sections since the reading level is about the same. And I can make a Series section with the space I am saving.
It's been a great few weeks!